Sunday, January 27, 2008

Stormphobic



jagged lightning splits
angry, bruised-black skies
the clouds shattered by
shock waves of thunder-
sound - very intense

the warning sirens
wail - the sound chills my
blood - fear grips my heart -
CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT
I'M SUPPOSED TO DO

strobe flashes of light
illuminates the
fear on my face - of
knowing the massive
storm IS STALKING ME

i know the roar of
rainfall mixed with hail
hides the screaming of
a tornado - i
imagine the worst

all i can do is
hide in the shelter
of a downstairs room -
central location -
i pray it's enough

the power dies - i'm
sure i'll be next - so
afraid - the thunder
outside absorbs the
thunder of my heart

i am shaking scared -
panic overtakes
my mind WHAT WAS THAT
breathing is ragged -
must calm down BUT HOW

sweat runs down my face -
feel like i'm gonna
throw up - feel stupid
'cause no one else acts
like this when it storms

more time between the
flash of lightning and
crash of thunder - rain
seems to be easing -
winds are not as strong -

the storm loses its
intensity - THANK
GOD i've survived - it's
over - until the
next severe storm comes

(c) 2002, Karla Dorman

No comments: